Skip to main content

Practically Perfect PL/SQL - A new video channel for PL/SQL developers!

Let this post serve as the official, groundbreaking, ground-shaking launch of (drum roll).....


This is a new Youtube/Oracle Learning Library channel that will feature my latest and greatest videos on Oracle PL/SQL and more. 

Within the P3 channel, I will set up a number and fill a number of different playlists. 


Four videos in the series are up with more to follow over the next week.

So....you might be wondering: why is this channel called "Practically Perfect PL/SQL"?

Let me count the ways:

1. Most important of all, triple alliteration: P3. Humans love alliteration and I like to give them what they want.

2. Sure, I want to talk about the features of PL/SQL, but mostly what I want to do is help developers write the best PL/SQL code they (we) can.  

We all want to be perfect, but since that is not possible, mostly what we will do is strive for perfection. We will try to be "practically" or almost perfect.

It's also a reminder to myself and everyone else writing PL/SQL and reading/watching my stuff, that I sure am not perfect. I violate my own best practices on a regular basis, I make changes in production (oh, say it isn't so, Steven!), I take short-cuts. 

3. Celebrate the practicality of programmers. We are, fundamentally, problem solvers - problem solvers working under deadlines. 

This means that when we hit an obstacle (a bug, bad requirements, changed specifications), we:
  • Never whine.
  • Never criticize another developer, especially if they are no longer on the team.
  • Never complain about users.
That's right: Never. Not us programmers, no. 

We are too practical, too pragmatic, to waste our cycles like that. We simply figure out how to work around the obstacle and get the job done.

I hope you enjoy, and maybe even learn from, the P3 videos. 

But even if you don't, please watch every single one, multiple times, so I get my view counts up really high! 

And do not hesitate to give me feedback, directly on the video page, here on this post, or through an email to steven.feuerstein@oracle.com.

Comments

  1. SQL is great I can only say this: DBASE + CLIPPER + ACCESS = SQL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Not even one reference to Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way? Maybe I did watch that movie too often.
    That said, I subscribed to this youtube channel of course! Looking forward to taking some time this weekend to watch them vids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I watched that movie, and my wife did mention it to me as well. But clearly it didn't make a strong enough impression. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be so kind as to post the code shown in the Practically Perfect PL/SQL series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visit oracle.com/oll/plsql and download the demo.zip file. In the zip, you will find: hardcoding.sql, fullname.pks and fullname.pkb.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p

The differences between deterministic and result cache features

 EVERY once in a while, a developer gets in touch with a question like this: I am confused about the exact difference between deterministic and result_cache. Do they have different application use cases? I have used deterministic feature in many functions which retrieve data from some lookup tables. Is it essential to replace these 'deterministic' key words with 'result_cache'?  So I thought I'd write a post about the differences between these two features. But first, let's make sure we all understand what it means for a function to be  deterministic. From Wikipedia : In computer science, a deterministic algorithm is an algorithm which, given a particular input, will always produce the same output, with the underlying machine always passing through the same sequence of states.  Another way of putting this is that a deterministic subprogram (procedure or function) has no side-effects. If you pass a certain set of arguments for the parameters, you will always get

My two favorite APEX 5 features: Regional Display Selector and Cards

We (the over-sized development team for the PL/SQL Challenge - myself and my son, Eli) have been busy creating a new website on top of the PLCH platform (tables and packages): The Oracle Dev Gym! In a few short months (and just a part time involvement by yours truly), we have leveraged Oracle Application Express 5 to create what I think is an elegant, easy-to-use site that our users will absolutely love.  We plan to initially make the Dev Gym available only for current users of PL/SQL Challenge, so we can get feedback from our loyal user base. We will make the necessary adjustments and then offer it for general availability later this year. Anyway, more on that as the date approaches (the date being June 27, the APEX Open Mic Night at Kscope16 , where I will present it to a packed room of APEX experts). What I want to talk about today are two features of APEX that are making me so happy these days: Regional Display Selector and Cards. Regional Display Sel